Re: [GUI] Scrollbars for Script-Fu dialogs

scl wrote:

> today a contributor addressed the problem of the
> missing possibility for scrollbars in Script-Fu
> dialogs, see [bug 725432].
> He (or she) thankfully offers a patch.
>
> From my point of view the problem lies deeper:
> if a dialog needs such a scrollbar it is very
> probably overloaded and not enough user friendly.

yes, in general dialogs do not scroll (unless it is good
for usability, hèhè); content can scroll in dialogs.

> I'm thinking of these solutions:
> A) Reduce the number of elements in these dialogs.
> B) Use tabbed dialogs to organize these elements
> better.
> Perhaps better solutions can still be found.
>
> How do you think can we solve this?

well, as I understand it the big picture is that the
script writer puts together the dialog, i.e. is a
third party developer.

at that point GIMP can offer:

1) building blocks to reduce what needs to be shown at once
 (tabs, expander sections) or vertically (multi-column)
2) tutorials and style guides for script writers how to
 use less fields in dialogs, and how to use the things from 1)

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture