Re: gimp-developer-list Digest, Vol 26, Issue 7

Hi people, I agree with Akkana.

"Export..." and "Export to" have poor User Interface- clarity. They don't
mentally distinguish very well, as I reported on the GIMP bugtracker it's
easy & common to select the wrong one since the process to distinguish them
involves too much mental negation.

> For one thing, I'm still confused about the difference between Export...
and Export to
> -- they seem to do the same thing even though one has a ... and the other
doesn't, they
> have different shortcuts, and one of them isn't always available.

Part of the problem is how the menu-items are labelled (especially when no
file is selected, this is confusing), part of the problem may be how the
menu-items are ordered.

Cognitively it really doesn't seem to be good design.

> And I can never remember in any given session which images can use
> Overwrite versus which ones need an Export... or Export to, so I no
> longer trust any save/export shortcut to be the right one, and
> almost always end up going to the menus instead.

My position (and I'm pretty sure I'm objective here) is that even looking
at the menu, things are less than 100% obvious.
------

On another note, having some working shortcuts in the "Close" dialog to
Discard is great. Perhaps even better would be, to enable these to work
*without* needing a Ctrl-modifier key..

Regards
Thomas