Re: HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp.

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Sven Claussner <scl.gplus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another thing we should consider is the license. The used symbolic
> icon set is licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 3
> (CCBYSA3). It is probably [incompatible with the GPL] used in GIMP
> and could also be incompatible with Linux distributor approvals.
> IMHO either the icon set and theme are relicenced under the GPL or we
> need something else if we want to integrate them into GIMP.
> The Darklooks theme uses the GPLv2.

Why would CC by-sa v3 *for themes* be incompatible with GPLv3 *for
code*? Do you have any information to backup this?

I know that the FSF says not to use it for code, but it says it is
good for arts though. And I think since themes are not "compiled in"
or "linked" to the code, there is absolutely no legal need to have
compatible licenses. I am pretty sure there are a whole bunch of Free
Software projects out there which use CC by-sa for arts (themes,
icons, etc.) and GPL for code. And we were even considering this a few
days ago on the IRC channel (relicensing all our brushes/pattern and
all other GIMP default data in CC by-sa).

I am no lawman though, so if you have more information about this
claim, ok. Otherwise from what I thought to know, there is absolutely
no problem to have CC by-sa for themes in our main tree.

Jehan