Displaying linear gamma images (Was Re: Update on my Gimp color management coding efforts)

On 11/12/12, Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/10/12, Michael Natterer <mitch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'm looking forward to taking another look at the monitor display code
>>> path. Your suggestions sound very helpful.
>>
>> It does, but it's clearly step 2 (or step n). IMO we should first
>> get the lcms plug-in right so the data GIMP is dealing with is
>> correct in the first place.

Step 1 happened a long time ago. I'm trying to implement Jon Norby's
suggestions because it would be nice to see a linear gamma image
displayed without posterization in the shadows from the conversion to
8-bits that happens before the conversion to the monitor profile.
Quoting Jon's suggestion:

(1)call a "GeglBuffer from the projection (or possibly a copy)" and then
(2)pass it to the lcms-based color conversion, and then
(3)pass that to cairo.

So how does one "call a GeglBuffer from the projection"?

Elle