Re: New developer eager to help out the Gimp community

Jade Misenas,

// I'm working on building GIMP from source right
now, and once I get that going I'd be happy to verify bugs (and help
improve reproduction instructions, where appropriate) and test patches.//

https://staff.banu.com/~muks/tmp/gimp-build-script.txt
http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/gimpbuild.html
http://lightningismyname.blogspot.in/p/compiling-gimp.html

These are some of place where you can find reference on building gimp.
I would suggest build git-master.