A few questions for the developers

Hello!

I would very much appreciate if one of the core developers of gimp could answer a few questions!
I am writing a bachelor thesis on using an all open source environment when producing 3D graphics for movies and visualizations.
It would be great if I could use your own words in the final discussion of my findings. So I would be glad if someone could answer the following questions:

1. For who is Gimp being developed?
2. What commercial softwares are you aiming to provide an alternative for?
3. What is your motivations for developing gimp?

Thank you for your time and for developing gimp, I really enjoy your software!

Regards
Oskar Jungell