Re: GIMP - flesh out a way of allowing lazy rendering?

On 4 March 2013 15:24, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> While GIMP 2.9 is thriving with lots of possibilities, one thing remain as fact:
> it is dead slow.
>
> I most likely missed some of the efforts being done to try to
> compensate for that -
> like avoiding unnecessary pixel format conversions in some operations - and
> the possibility of having GEGL to run with open-CL acceleration.
>
> I think it is not an exaggeration to add that even with this, the
> current rendering model
> is dead slow.
>
> To the point of being unfeasible to work on a 1024x768 image in modern
> hardware -
> one simply can't paint.
Other raster application, including GIMP 2.8, are doing OK performance
wise with a rendering mode that is very similar to GIMP uses now, so I
don´t we necessarily need to do drastic changes there in order to fix
the performance.

I think a useful GSoC project would be to define and implement some
meaningful benchmarks for GIMP. If successful, that would give
insights into what the causes of the current performance problems are.
I believe that is needed for coming up with a good solution for
current, and future performance issues.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com