Re: Ways to improve Gimp 2.9 performance

On 2/28/13, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quark Express used to have the notion of a "project folder", and if you
> put fonts in it, they'd be activated only when working on the files in
> that folder. I miss this, but gimp is scatterbrained when it comes to
> folders, with export going to the last place where you saved something
> two days ago for an unrelated project unless you are careful.
I've noticed this odd behavior. A project approach would be nice.

> Turning off 3D effects / compiz can increase drawing speed
I use Icewm, which doesn't really have any "effects"; all the
underlying kde eye candy (shadows on windows, hi-color icons, etc) has
been eliminated.

>> And do you have any idea what large file(s) might Gimp have been
>> writing to its system configuration file that filled up 15GB? The undo
>> history?
> Yes, the tile cache and undo history. And if it was that big, your gimp
> would *really* have had a limp.
It was stopped in its tracks. I used "kill" to put it out of its misery.

Elle