Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

On 11/17/2012 12:59 PM, Kamilla Elliott wrote:
Thanks again for your response. Sorry to be unclear. I first made the xcf at 100 ppi, importing photos and adding text; then when I had trouble exporting it to pdf (the photos were too blurry), I re-created it from scratch, setting it at 300ppi using Advanced Options under 'New File'. But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch instead of 11 x 6 inches. So I couldn't see if it was high res, since I had to zoom to about 450% to see it, by which time it was blurry again. I'm trying a new document from scratch with very high res photos to see if that will help. Thanks again for helping me--your e-mail helped me make more progress than I managed to make all day.
I think you might be mixing up image resolution and print size.

Print size can be shown in inches (say 11.75 x 10.69) ormillimeters (say 298 x 271).
Image resolution is in pixels per inch (say 72for square pixels) or pixels per mm (2.83 in this case).

The pdf image will normally print in theprint size specified; so when you changed the xcf to 300 from 100 ppi, the print image reduced by a factor of three (so I think it would have printed 4 x 2
rather than 2 x 1 - maybe you used 600 ppi?)

  -- Burnie