GsoC - 2011 - Porting GIMP plugins to GEGL operations

Hello,

I am Robert Sasu and I wrote an e-mail in the morning about the application for the Adaptive Image Cloning. Since then I've spoken with mentors on IRC, and they said that this project is no more available. I was also recommended to look at Porting GIMP plugins to GEGL.
As I wrote in my last e-mail I have strong C/C++ and algorithms background and I have done some image processing/filtering projects.
I've also compiled GIMP from GIT with all the libraries and dependencies. I also looked over the coding style and started to familiarize with the code in GEGL and GIMP.
I propose simply to rewrite GIMP plugins in gegl operations as there are many predefined functions, and the implementation is not so hard.
How important do you find this project, compared with others for this years GSoC?
I would like to know which are the plugins I should start to look at and port to GEGL. I would also ask for some specific information about this project. How did you imagine the porting: by rewriting the entire code for every plugins doing some adaptation to the logic?

Thank you,
Robert Sasu