Announcing AdaptableGIMP

We would like to announce the availability of the initial release of
AdaptableGIMP, a modified version of GIMP that integrates new social,
community-based customization features into the application. The project
page and software can be found at:

http://www.adaptablegimp.org

This initial release is available in source code form only. Binaries
will follow.

AdaptableGIMP introduces a new way of interacting with software: Rather
than hunting through menus to find commands, users simply enter what
they wish to accomplish in a search box. As they type, a list of
interface customizations appears. These customizations---what we call
"task sets"---streamline the interface by putting every tool and command
necessary to accomplish a task in one, centralized location.

Task set customizations can be created by any user, and are instantly
shared with the rest of the user community. Wiki-based documentation
accompanies each task set, enabling users to pair tutorials and
"how-to's" with the customizations they create.

AdaptableGIMP is the result of ongoing research by members of the
University of Waterloo's Human Computer Interaction Lab. It is directly
informed by our previous project, ingimp, in which we collected over 2
years' worth of data describing how people use GIMP. Like ingimp,
AdaptableGIMP collects data about how it is used in practice, to help us
continue to research new and innovative user interfaces.

Feedback about the project and its goals is welcome and can be emailed
to the project at the address found below.

Michael Terry and Ben Lafreniere
adaptablegimp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx