Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

Hi,

Glad to hear a school is considering using GIMP - when I learned in
school they tried only photoshop ad other commercial stuff.

*The* reference is the official documentation, which is very very
detailed as a reference - http://docs.gimp.org/
The tutorials for image retouching (and other stuff), on the main
website, should provide a very good basis -
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

I know that in the past (before I started using GIMP) "Grokking the
GIMP" was considered a very good book on GIMP, and the good part is
that it's available online! http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html
Many of the screenshots are outdated, and the ui changed a bit, but as
a reference for how to do things, it can be great.

Now, if we want more "modern" stuff (since some of the things above
are outdated(, that children will consider cool, I'd try any of the
many tutorial sites on the web, for tutorials about specific effects.
I started with gimpusers - http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials and
GimpTalk http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/
GimpTalk was (and probably is) the biggest GIMP forum on the web, it
has more resources than you can imagine. it may require lots of
filtering, but it has some high quality tutorials.

If you need anything specific, feel free to ask on here (or better, on
the the gimp-users mailing list - see
http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html), or on the GIMP chat (see
http://www.gimp.org/irc).

Good luck!