Porting GIMP plugins to GEGL operations

Hello all,

> Porting GIMP plugins to GEGL operations
>
> There are many many GIMP plugins that would need eventually to be
> converted to GEGL operations, if we want to use them in future
> versions of GIMP.

Though I'm not a student, I've been meaning to give something back to the Gimp Project for sometime now. The idea above strikes me as a good place to start, though I might be wrong ... am I? :-) If not, I'd need a few pointers to get going:

1) Looking in the GIMP and GEGL dev sites, I found a list of library dependencies for GEGL but not one for GIMP. I haven't downloaded the source yet, so perhaps there's such a list in there. If not, where can I find it? My computer runs a vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 install, should I expect any problems?

2) Are there any special guidelines for writing plugins using GEGL operations? Are they listed anywhere? (Looking at the GIMP dev site I haven't found any). Is there an already ported plugin to use as an example? Or a template?

3) Which plugins should be ported first? Is there a priority list? Is it possible to port all plugins given the current list of GEGL operations? If not, which are possible?

4) Is this a simple porting job or are there any documented desired improvements to be made on the plugins?

5) Where should I go for help when I need it? :-)

Though I've worked as a C programmer for several years, I'm a bit rusty after six years of spreadsheets and Gantt charts ... :-) On top of that, I've never done any serious graphics programming (except for a couple of classes back in college, over 15 years ago). So I'll need some time to get up to speed. Hope that's alright.

I usually learn faster by working on something concrete, so I'd apreciate if someone could point me to a couple of relevant but not too dificult plugins to start on.

Thanks for any help!

Andreas Plath