Re: GIMP Roadmap - wiki page

Martin Nordholts <enselic <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On the developer meeting I got an action to create a draft of a roadmap.
> It can be found here:
>
> http://gimp-wiki.who.ee/index.php/GIMP_Roadmap
>
> It has has a list of features we prioritize, as well as a list of at
> what GIMP release we expect features to be available.
>
> It is quite influenced by my personal opinions of what we should
> prioritize, please take a look and add things you miss. If you disagree
> on priorities, please bring it up here so we can discuss it and reach
> consensus.
>
>   / Martin

Congrats! this is a much-needed step.

Can I ask what "non-destructive editing" is? According to Adobe, this includes:
* Color adjustment layers (such as levels, hue/saturation, threshold, etc)
* filter layers (such as blur, sharpen, emboss, etc)
* smart objects (i.e., ability to scale / rotate a layer as a single object,
  without changing its pixel data)

Maybe this could be expanded upon and prioritized.

I also have a couple of suggestions for things to put on the roadmap:

* change the floating selection behavior so that float and un-float can
  be automatic and not need user's explicit input.
* Automate layer boundary management so that the user can draw on any point
  at any time and not worry about increasing the boundary
* unified transform tool (I remember seeing plans for that last item on
  Peter sikking's Blog)

So, what do people here think? I believe all three are essential in making
GIMP a faster and more hassle free tool. I can expand on these subjects if
needed.