Re: gimp-item-transform-scale vs gimp-drawable-transform-scale

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Ofnuts <ofnuts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/11/2011 01:02 PM, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
>>> I apologize, you are right. I apparently only added links to
>>> the new context functions from the new selection API.
>>>
>>> It's the new context API, e.g. gimp_context_set_interpolation().
>>> Will add the docs after work today.
>
> Hmmm. What proportion of existing plug-ins working in 2.6 will have to
> be rewritten for 2.8? In my neck of the IT woods, within the same
> version backward compatibility is implied... And if a rewrite is
> necessary we will have to support both versions for quite some time
> (some people fall in love with some plug-ins and won't upgrade Gimp
> until there is a new version  of their beloved plug-in). And do it again
> when 3.0 shows up...

But the rewriting needed for 3.0, porting to be GEGL ops, can be done
already now, and I would strongly encourage GIMP to make use of GEGL
ops more on an equal footing to GIMP plug-ins (and not be hidden in an
own menu under the GEGL tool like it is now) so that freshly developed
plug-ins can be done as GEGL ops already now and be more future proof.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                    http://gegl.org/contribute.html