Team Organization?

I have been reviewing Gimp / GEGL source code . . . to get familiar with everything . . . so that I have some context to understand where I might help the project.

But I am operating in a "void" because I don't understand:
  • How the development effort is organized.
The main Gimp website says that the new priority is expansion of the GEGL engine.

But, does that mean that major feature development for main Gimp app is being stopped until the GEGL engine is ready?

I, for one, love Gimp but would really like to see one or new features such as:
Should I offer help in those areas?

Again, I just need some context.

Thanks,

Steve Greenwalt