Re: Where can I help?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Stephen Greenwalt <stephengreenwalt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Where can I help? Here's an ultra-short overview of my background: ...

Here's one suggestion that you could probably work on immediately, and would prepare
you to work on other things if you are interested.  Gimp has a plug-in called Lighting Effects
that simulates the results of shining lights on 3D-deformed images.  It is pretty fancy and
sometimes gives neat results, but the rendering procedure it uses doesn't work as well as it
could, because the triangles that it decomposes the surface into are too small -- you get a
lot of faceting effects that a better algorithm would avoid.  Plug-ins are more or less freestanding
code, so it ought to be possible to improve the rendering without a huge investment of time in
learning the whole architecture of Gimp -- but you would learn a substantial amount about the
architecture as a side-effect of working on it.

  -- Bill