Re: donations for GIMP 2.8

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 00:27 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 11:01 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > I just wanted to let you know that we have seen a dramatic increase in
> > donations since then. More than 120 people donated over the last 8 days
> > and sent us about 2,500 dollars. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
> > discuss how we can actually use this money to make the GIMP 2.8 release
> > happen soon...
>
> Here are some examples of what I think blocks a GIMP 2.8 release:
>
>   * Finish single-window mode
>   * Make layer masks work with layer groups
>   * Bug 596410 - gimp-image-get-filename returns NULL for imported files
>   * Bug 597117 - impossible to drop a group as a sibling inside a group
>   * Bug 612931 - Moving individual layer in layer group not possible
>                  with Move Tool
>   * Bug 600554 - Implement layer group transforms
>   * Bug 624303 - Introduce an item class in PyGIMP
>   * Bug 630748 - display filters do not work
>   * Bug 631766 - Bad performance when moving brush outline on canvas
>
> One natural use of money donated specifically to speed up a GIMP 2.8
> release would be in the form of bounties for fixing bugs that blocks
> GIMP 2.8 from being released. I know we have a history of disliking
> bounties, but as far as I know we never really tried, and now we have
> money more or less ear-marked for this purpose.

So far this has been the most constructive idea that has been brought up
in this thread. So why not? Let's try to come up with a list of bugs
that block the GIMP 2.8 release and put bounties on them. Who wants to
volunteer to prepare a list of bugs that are worth having a bounty put
on them?

The stream of donations has dropped a little but there is still
significantly more money coming in than usual. We have received more
than $1,000 in the last 7 days.

Sven