Re: Dropping Scheme with gimp 2.8?

On Friday, December 17, 2010 03:54:12 Andreas_P wrote:
> In the German Gimp Forums I've had a little discussion with Michael
> Schumacher and houz (don't know real name for now)
> I thin you misnterpeted what was said.

> On the longterm, Scheme isn't going to stay, and all scripts in GIMP will
> be written in Python.
Long term in gimp is a decade.

> The only hurdle against it is, the availability for GIMP on MS-Windows -
> the typical (dumbnut user) can't install Python and three modules for
> using GIMP - but this thing will be history - ultimately with the
> installer packages within 2.8...
This just means that python will be part of the default windows install, its
not ready to replace scheme any time soon..

> I would be glad when Aliens were behind it, it seems more serious.
Just seems.

> Schumaml; was one of the first persons to push a python integration into
> GIMP on Windows...
> And he has some sort of credibility when saying... Scheme isn't to survive
> here....
It isn't, long term at least as a core functionality. See what long term is
above. Outside it, if there is a maintainer, it will survive.

> and later houz wrote: "It is a thing of parting ressources, Scheme would be
> wasting them, we (GIMP Dev-Team) cannot support every backend for
> scripting.
And this just means choosing what gets maintained as default and what not. In
the long term.

Point is, while the prefered scripting language is going to be python in the
future, scheme isnt going away in 2.8 and most probably not even during the
3.0 series. after that its the great unknown.

--Alexia