'Unknown file type'

>I had been using GIMP 2.6.10 in XP Pro SP2. I have loaded pspi.exe.  I needed
>to try a for me, essential *.8bf plugin 'Altostorm Rectilinear Panorama Pro
>v1.3 which works in Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro 9.02. I set the
>Preferences folder and as instructed, restarted GIMP.
>On the restart I got "Are you sure you want to completely remove Altostorm
>Rectilinear Panorama Pro v1.3 and all its components?" - NO. and GIMP loaded.
>But now I cannot open any image files.
>I get "Opening 'path' failed". "Unknown file type"
>ie. PNG, PSD, even JPG which all opened before.
>Any suggestions?

Hey...this happened to me before! my system used to open these type of files, and one day all of a sudden it doesn't recognize them anymore. I haven't done anything except for the fact that I downloaded some program from limewire and my computer started acting weird. I've read that one cause for that message to come out is corrupted file associations in the registry, one cause of which are viruses. This lead me to suspect it's that file I downloaded from limewire so I scanned to find my computer was already infected.

So I suggest you scan your computer first, and if there's any virus, get rid of it. If not, then you can still check whether you have corrupted file associations in the registry and fix them. You can read this article on how to open <a href="http://www.pcperformancetools.com/how-to-repair-open-unknown-file-type-extensions.html";>unknown file types</a> for further guidance.

--
ravendawson (via gimpusers.com)