Re: IMPORTANT: GIMP AND OPENSOURCE SCAM ON EBAY!

On 09/23/10 11:27, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 9/23/10, Abir Sadik wrote:
>
>> This is some really serious violation going on, and i hope someone will do
>> something about it.
>
> In my experience there is nothing you can do about that, educating
> that kind of repackagers is just wasting your time. We in Audacity
> project tried dealing with this, got nowhere and simply ignore this.
>
> It would also be nice if you STOPPED USING ALL CAPS :)
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Hi all,

Just for info here is a more successful response to this problem by
commercial outfit that release a GPL version of their software. There
was also a successful prosecution in the states recently . So it not
necessarily the case that all you can do is say "pretty please".

Here's what appeared on YAFFS mailing list earlier this week.

Dear Readers,

Aleph One Limited discovered a Far-Eastern company selling
data-management hardware through a distributor in Europe that used YAFFS
in the software, under GPL.  We asked the distributor for sight of the
Source Code and they were unable to provide it.

With the assistance of the law firms Moorcrofts in Marlow, England, and
JBB Rechtsanwalte in Berlin, we pursued the matter with the distributor
and negotiated a financial settlement, including an element for damages,
to our satisfaction.

We are always ready to discuss suitable terms of a Licence to use YAFFS.

LvS

--
Laurie van Someren, Aleph One Ltd, Old Courthouse, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE
CB25 9BA  UK  t: +44 (0)1 223 811 679  www.aleph1.co.uk & www.yaffs.net