Re: Native RAW support

On 9/20/10, fufuz wrote:

> I read on the Internet, that GEGL will provide support for many raw format
> types of different camera manufacturers already by itself

Where I come from people say that the only thing that happens by
itself is newborn kittens :)

GEGL already uses libopenraw library that is a can-opener for RAW file
formats. Unfortunately as a project this library seems to be dead.
There are other open/free libraries for dealing with RAW, like LibRaw,
so this is not exactly the issue.

The way things are going native RAW support in GIMP using GEGL + some
can-opener library will likely require a dedicated developer in the
team. Which the team doesn't seem to have right now, being heavily
shorthanded and outnumbered.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org