Re: Zooming in Single Window Mode

On 08/18/2010 08:33 AM, Mathias Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run the current development version of GIMP (2.7.2).
>
> In single window mode I experience a very annoying issue. One example to reproduce this: choose the brush tool, create a new layer and change it's opacity with the slider. And now it comes: I want to zoom into the image with the + and - keys on my keyboard. Or I want to move the displayed detail using the space bar - before I start painting...
> In multi window mode one just had to focus the image window again (hit the window's title bar) to get those keys working. In single window mode, since all toolboxes belong to this one window, clicking the title bar doesn't change anything. Hitting + and - just changes the opacity of the layer, the space bar expands the selection box for layer modes or alters the layer's visibility. One actually has to paint onto the image to get it activated and get those keys working again. But when I want to paint, I need more details - a vicious circle...
>
> Just now I help myself painting somewhere, hitting Ctrl-Z and finally being able to zoom in. But this is irritating. Maybe GIMP should check where the mouse pointer is and interpret the keystrokes based on this. Is the pointer on the image the user prob. wants to zoom, move etc. Is the pointer on the layer dialogue the user wants to change settings etc.
>
> Actually, this is not an issue of the window modes. The same behaviour occurs in multi window mode. But, as described above, it's easier to re-focus the image window over there. Thus, this issue wasn't as annoying as it is now...
>
> So, is this worth a bug report? Or is this a feature request? Or none of all because I am too stupid to use GIMP correctly?

It doesn't hurt to create a bug report for it

I think the best solution would be simply make sure the + key press is
propagated all the way down to the image window and handled there, since
there is no widget before that that can do anything sensible

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/