Re: Usability of menus (search, gegl ops, ...)

On 08/10/2010 11:57 AM, David Gowers wrote:
> Create the previews in an idle handler

Just some nit-picking:
If you mean an idle handler in the event loop, that's a bad idea. We
should do image processing in a separate thread to keep the UI
responsive at all times. You could argue that if we always do image
processing in small chunks, it won't be a problem, but that prevents us
from more freely tweaking the chunk size. The bigger chunks we do at a
time, the better we can use the CPU and memory caches.

IMO the current use of the main loop for image processing in GIMP needs
to stop. The migration to GEGL will be a good time to fix it.

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/