Re: Usability of menus (search, gegl ops, ...)

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Jon Senior <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:27:59 +0200
> Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't think registering a fixed preview image is good enough, it
>> should be a preview of the effect if applied to the current image.

..
> to create the demonstration image (which will show off "real" use of the
> effect), but forcing it to be based on a specific image (Wilber springs
> to mind). That way it's using a known base image but can be tweaked to
> provide maximum visual effect for the preview?

This is how I would see something like this added for GEGL operations:

The desired end result would be to have a directory where previews of
the results of gegl-operations can be found. Probably just pngs with
the same name as the op it is a preview for. During the build of
operations that come with GEGL a small set of illustrative images
would be provided. By default if no extra work is done in the
operation the default image will be used as input with default
parameters. If this does not provide a good preview of the operation
the op can add a string to GeglOperationClass containing the XML
needed to apply the effect well to one (or more) of the sample images.
These images would also be used in the GEGL documentation
http://gegl.org/operations.html

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                           http://ffii.org/