Re: Usability of menus (search, gegl ops, ...)

G'Day,
    I've been thinking a bit about this recently as I can never remember where anything is, and
writing script-fu's generally means I have a linear understanding of what is available.

How to access it:
From some menus, I don't feel strongly about these. Help -> Menu Browser .. blah.
Anyway, the way I would use it is a shortcut. Ctrl-F would be the most logical choice.
Once a "tool wheel" is introduced (like in games), there would be a case to have it included there.

How does it look:
text box at the top, results underneath.  It's a popup that appears near where the cursor was when it was created. (be nice if it was a "light" popup, but anyway).

The results should just search the name of the menu.  See options. It should do a case insensitive search like pdb (as the user types), including the regex.

The first item should be selected ready to go. Hit enter to select the item

So an example use for me recently would be, I'm looking for the sparkle plugin.
Ctrl-F spark <enter> .  Hitting enter would close the window and call the menu.

By default each line would just contain the name of the menu: ie  "Sparkle". But I think it reasonable to add an option to show where the item is: eg Sparkle (Filters -> Light and Shadow).  By default the actual PDB names would not be searchable (eg plugin-sparkle), but no doubt that would be a good option, but only if the item appears in a menu.

There is no need to get complicated with tagging, and trees, and sub categories.  I believe a basic implementation will show that it's power will be in the simplicity.

So what about gegl ops.  My feeling is that it's a menu search, so it wouldn't be included by default.  However a simple option to add this into the search would be reasonable.

X Show Menu location
X Dev: Include GEGL operations
X Dev: Include PDB (internal) names

thanks for bringing this up, it's been playing on my mind recently...

Cameron