Re: Another set of feature-wishes regarding Guides

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM,  <oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it is possible to make guides invisible/visible
> and to make them magnetic/nonmagnetic.
>
> Both features are independent, which is good for some situations.
>
> To make them invisible as well as non-magnetic at the same time,
> two check boxes must be enabled/disabled.
>
> The possibility to make both with one click would be fine:
> visible && magnetic / invisible && non-magnetic.
>
> Also it would be fine to have keyboard-shortcuts for all those
> check-boxes.

You can already do this to all the guides at once:
View->Show Guides
View->Snap to guides

> an even more advaned usage of Guides would be, to have Guide-layers.
> One could disable guides on a guide-layer completely, when swictching off
> the eye for that layer, and enable them again like any other layer,
> when clicking on the corresponding layers-eye.
>
> With that feature one could do very complex graphics easily.
>
> Together with layer-groups, one could have layer-group specific guides,
> which will make it even more powerful.
>
> Guides that will not be part of a group would be acting globally,
> and guides that are part of a layer-group would be activated
> only together with that group.

The layer stack is definetly not the place for putting guides (at
least that's my opinion). We can however consider adding groups for
guides which indeed sounds more reasonable. Since implementing angular
guides (which I tried yesterday) requires rewriting many of the guides
code, I can try to add this as part of the re-write. Note however that
I think that a flat list of guide groups is enough - implemeting a
tree of groups sounds much more than needed.
I believe that guide groups shouldn't be added to the layer stack
since it's cluttered enough as it is, and since having a dedicated
dialog for guide groups sounds much more productive.

~LightningIsMyName