Re: Plugged-in tools

On 7/31/10, Roland Lutz wrote:

> There has been repeatedly brought up the request for in-window
> applicability of the IWarp distort.  Using IWarp in the preview pane is a
> nuisance and much inferior to, for example, the Photoshop Liquify tool.
> In fact, this has been the reason for me to consider hacking the GIMP in
> the first place.

Roland,

There was an attempt to rewrite IWarp into a tool before, but this
work wasn't finished. Check archives for February 2008.

These days new tools are better implemented on top of GEGL. One such
tool is currently in works as an objective of a Google Summer of Code
project:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/?h=soc-2010-cage

> Then there is the issue of dialog preview visibility.  Core dialogs like
> Levels and Curves are able to show preview directly in the image window,
> as opposed to plug-in dialogs which are restricted to small preview
> widgets.  Again, this is much inferior to the real-image preview and has
> got me frustrated more than once.

This will change along with further integration with GEGL, AFAIK.

> I know there have been a number of philosophical remarks in the past
> against pluggable tools.  However, to a user ignorant to the constraining
> GIMP design mechanisms, these restrictions and their consequences to the
> UI appear arbitrary.  Why stick with these at the cost of a bad UI?

"Because every feature needs its programmer" is the best I can come up with :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org