Re: Script debugging

I just use (gimp-message) a lot, with my error console turned on.

Here are pointers that work well with script-fu (up to a point):  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/chezscheme/debug/

Too bad script-fu doesn't support tracing.

-Rob A>

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Joseph Areeda <areeda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a few function on my must have list.  I've been able to find some
scripts that are close.

It's been over 20 years since I did any LISP programming so Scheme is
not to bad, but still a chore.

My biggest issue is debugging.  My searching has turned up this quote
(http://adrian.gimp.org/batch/batch-7.html):

"Debugging Script-Fu scripts is only slightly less painful than stabbing
yourself in the eye with a dull spoon.

There is no debugger for Script-Fu, and it tends to generate either no
errors or pretty much useless errors."

That sums up my experience so far, but I'm looking for a more optimistic
approach.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

As a more long term fantasy, has there been any discussion of an RPC
portal to the Procedure Database.

This would allow add-ons to be written in any language with a relatively
small investment in each.  The big plus for the developers of add-on
would be the ability to use existing IDEs with a DEBUGGER.

This is a project I could sink my teeth into.

Joe