Re: about getting involved in developing Gimp

Liam R E Quin <liam <at> holoweb.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 01:19 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Michael Grosberg
> > [...]
> > the "most requested feature" at questions time, was also this one.
>
> Luckily, work in this area is planned, with fixed-size layer boundaries
> being an endangered species. Unluckily, there aren't enough active
> programmers...
>
> Liam

Forgive me for my presumption...
I'd like to use this thread to address this lack of programmers.
Don't you find it weird that a project like Gimp, which in theory is a very
useful application, with a very broad appeal, draws less programmers than, say,
Blender or Inkscape?
I think the reason is lack of vision and inspiration. There is a perception that
Gimp isn't going anywhere. To attract people, a project must FEEL as if it's
going somewhere; people want to see their effort being put to good use. And if
they know what the result is  going to be in advance, they will be more willing
to contribute.

What I'm saying is that Gimp needs a highly visible "restart". A new vision for
the road ahead. A roadmap that has no dates, but does have features that would
cause excitement. And it must be presented in a compelling manner: It has to be
online, and have mockups, descriptions, videos, anything to convince people
there is a goal that can be achieved. It doesn't have to be too detailed; it can
have as many stages and releases planned ahead as you like. Even a full recode
isn't out of the question - Blender did it. A logo and/or website redesign
contest might help in engaging the artist user base. The only thing that matters
is to get people *excited* again.

What do you think?