Re: Optimized Despeckle plug-in

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 10:49 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 10:28 AM, Przemysław Zych wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As a part of my student project for "Optimizing Open-Source
> > Applications" at Warsaw University I have speed up despeckle plug-in for
> > gimp.
> >
> > Original version of the plugin run 56seconds for 1024x768 image with
> > despeckle radius 30 and adaptive flag turned off (on my Intel Macbook
> > 2.1GHz). My optimized version with the same settings completes the task
> > in 3.5 seconds with the same image quality :-)
> >
> > Sources for this optimized plug-in can be downloaded from here:
> > http://students.mimuw.edu.pl/~pz248275/despeckle.c
> > <http://students.mimuw.edu.pl/%7Epz248275/despeckle.c>
> >
> > What should I do to get this to the gimp repository?
> > Should I change the copyright header?
>
> Hi!
>
> That sounds great.
>
> To maximize chances of getting this into GIMP:
>
> 1. Create a regression test for the despecle plug-in that is run
>     with 'make check'. This is a great way to convince us that
>     your optimization in fact does not change the output, only
>     improves performance.

Well, as far as I can see the current implementation of the despeckle
plug-in does not match the expectations. IMO it is buggy. Thus we should
not absolutely require that the result does not change. But it would be
desirable to get fixes to the algorithm submitted separately from
optimizations.

It would also help a lot if the patch followed the GIMP coding style.
Please see the file HACKING in the GIMP source tree.

Sven