parasite usage

Hi all

   I'm writing my first first plugin for gimp and I'm looking for more
info about parasite: expecially, I wonder if there is a standard way
to improve parasite's compatibility between different plugin
revisions... what if, for example, I add, change or remove a parameter
from my parasite struct ?

is there a way, then, to access parasites saved with previous version
of the plug-in ?

I see that there are some serialize/deserialize functions in
gimpparasiteio but missing usage info... are them for solve this kind
of problems or I'm looking at the wrong direction ?

      thanks in advance for any hints

                  Giampaolo