Re: Why artificially constrain toolbox window size?

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 08:23 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 06:48 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > Yes, the concern is that tool buttons *do* have a fixed size, and I
> > really don't think we should scale them. The interface is IMHO
> > better with the resize steps. There is no reason to have non-square
> > buttons, because it doesn't exactly look good or professional.
> >
> > --mitch
>
> I have to admit rectangular buttons doesn't look very pretty. So how
> about vertically centering the toolbox? Mockup, where left is "worst
> case" and the right one is "one pixel extra wide":
>
>    http://files.chromecode.com/temp/button-spacing-collected.png
>
> We get the best of both worlds:
>
>   * Ability to pixel perfectly adapt the toolbox to any windowing setup
>     and an interface with a smoother feel to it
>   * Always square and nice-looking and compact tool buttons

I'm sorry but I absolutely don't see how the minor benefit of
resizing the toolbox freely outweights the advantage of *always*
having a nicely laid out toolbox.

I'm all for code simplification and freely configurable windows,
but this feels like overdoing it.

--mitch