Re: GIMP and Python

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Torsten Neuer <tneuer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 15. April 2010 02:26:42 schrieb Michael Hansen:
>> And my second question: If this is really the case, will establishing
>>  Python support be simplified in future (by embedding native support for
>>  Python scripts)? OpenOffice or the newest version of Blender already come
>>  with all necessary files to use Python scripts for example, without the
>>  need to install all that stuff.
>
> It seems that you're talking Windows in this case. ;-)
>
> Frankly, it is a very bad thing when applications include a script language
> engine in their distribution that then is installed somewhere in a non-
> standard place on the platform.

This is windows we are talking about here. Nothing that isn't provided
by MS$ has a standard place in the OS. Its nature deems that for your
things to work you need to provide all your own dependencies. And yes,
that means potentially 6 copies of python, GTK or any other
dependency. It is regrettable, but treating windows like a Unix system
is just as wrong. Windows is not a version fixed and built as one
environment. What works for one app does not have to work for another
because they can have totally incompatible versions. There was a time
when applications did not package their own GTK. It was a pain in the
ass to figure out why gimp install broke pidgin. Yes, it bloats
windows, but it ensures that apps run OK for those that lack the
skills to resolve conflicts.
--
--Alexia