Re: User Friendly Plug-In Browser

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 10:26 +0100, Avgoustinos Kadis wrote:

> I'm an applicant for GSoC 2010. I got inspired by the "menu search"
> idea and proposed the "user friendly plug-in browser" that would allow
> users to find the plug-in they want by seeing the effect on an example
> image. The whole thing is to browse through images rather than through
> text. The reason is that the names of plug-ins say nothing to many of
> the users (including me) and they hesitate to try them. But by seeing
> the effect of the plug-in they will be more willing to use it.
>
> Could you please give me some feedback on my proposal? I would like to
> know if this idea is feasible. Are there any aspects I didn't think
> of?

I think the idea is nice, but very hard, if not impossible, to
implement. All plug-ins have a number of parameters and the output
depends a lot on the values chosen for these parameters. That makes it
very hard to automatically create reasonable previews of all filters.
Also the PDB currently does not support default parameters, so there is
no way to automatically select reasonable default values for plug-ins.
The "user friendly plug-in browser" would have to have a hard-coded
data-base of parameters. That would be a pain to maintain.

IMO it makes much more sense to concentrate on selecting plug-ins based
on a search in their names, descriptions and help texts.

Sven