GSOC - Free Transform Tool

Hello

My name is Stephen McKeague and I am very interested in implementing the Free Transform Tool in GIMP for this years Google Summer of Code, originally proposed by Martin Nordholts.  The project information page seems to still be offline, so I would like to discuss the bounds of the project.

Since the functionality is obviously in place for rotate, scale sheer and perspective separately, they could be combined in a Photoshop like fashion for the Free Transform Tool, presumably using shortcut keys to specify the details of the required transform.  Since the GUI would have to be amended to include the new tool, would it be a good idea to have the icons for both a Free Transform and the existing separate transforms beside each other?  This would possibly result in too much feature duplication but I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter along with anything else relating to the project.

I am starting a Ph.D. in Computer Vision this October at Imperial College London.  I feel that I would be able to contribute a lot to this project and would love to use the experience gained through it to continue developing GIMP as a regular contributor.

Thank you very much for your time
Stephen McKeague

Do you want a Hotmail account? Sign-up now - Free