Re: The future of GEGL and Gimp: Questions

On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Well, if you ever looked at the UFRaw Import Plug-in, you'd know that it
> gives you a lot of control over how the conversion to 8 bit is done. So
> you already get most of the benefits of the RAW format. It's just
> somewhat uncomfortable that you have to do all the color and exposure
> correction at the import step.
The problem is that I recently read about the scaling problems in any non-
linear colour space and as a result have tried scaling some of my images in a
16 bit linear colour space - with stunning results. So UFRaw helps with the
first problem of doing the conversion but 8 bit GIMP is messing up things
later in the editing process... For the moment I am living with the results
but now knowing how much better they can look without having to compensate
late in the editing process having a workflow which would start with the 14
bit depth my camera provides per colour channel and never drops to a non
linear colour space before the final save to JPEG would be preferred and I
hope that a GEGL enabled GIMP will do so in the forseable future...
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch