Re: Doubt in Google Summer Of Code Idea

Sven Neumann wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:30 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> The GIMP menu structure is a beast. But each item is well
>> documented, in
>> particular there are tooltips for most of them. The idea is to make
>> the
>> menu item labels and the descriptions of them searchable. It could
>> be a
>> text entry in the menu bar for example.
>
> It could be a text entry that replaces the menu-bar triggered by a
> keyboard shortcut, similar to how you can switch from the path-bar
> to a
> location entry in the file-chooser. Or it could be a UI that overlays
> itself on the image. The current work on the text tool UI shows what's
> possible in this respect with newer versions of GTK+.
>
> Would be nice to get some input from Peter on this subject. With a
> little help from the guiguru, this could turn out to become a very
> useful change to the GIMP UI.

well, I have still mixed feelings about the whole plan.

if there is a need for search in a menu structure, then how well is
that menu structured?

it really sounds to me like signalling UI design defeat, and sticking
a band-aid (search) on it.

however, going much further makes it useful.
searching tooltips is one thing, digging into the manual is next.
going further is needed before thinking about the UI.

     --ps

             man + machine interface works