Re: Doubt in Google Summer Of Code Idea

On 03/23/2010 09:46 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:30 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> The GIMP menu structure is a beast. But each item is well documented, in
>> particular there are tooltips for most of them. The idea is to make the
>> menu item labels and the descriptions of them searchable. It could be a
>> text entry in the menu bar for example.
>
> It could be a text entry that replaces the menu-bar triggered by a
> keyboard shortcut, similar to how you can switch from the path-bar to a
> location entry in the file-chooser. Or it could be a UI that overlays
> itself on the image. The current work on the text tool UI shows what's
> possible in this respect with newer versions of GTK+.
>
> Would be nice to get some input from Peter on this subject. With a
> little help from the guiguru, this could turn out to become a very
> useful change to the GIMP UI.
>
> From a development point of view, it shouldn't be too difficult to
> implement the actual search in the menus and plug-ins. A main focus of
> the project should be on the user interface.

I think both are equally important, no one will want to use a great UI
with terrible performance, and no one will want to use a very responsive
but hard to use UI.

I can well imagine that the amount of work for indexing and matching
menu items and other arbitrary sources in a future-proof way is big
enough task for a GSoC alone.

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/