Re: My Gsoc Proposal

>There's the xi2 branch of gtk+, which is, as far as I know, pretty close
>to being merged. That would be needed for adding multi-touch support to
>GIMP. Not sure if it makes sense to base a Google Summer of Code project
>on pending work in another project. But it's certainly an interesting
>project.

       I also checked xi2, what I see is there is huge difference between what I am thinking and what Peter (owner of this project) is focusing on. Their concept is to make able current applications with no change to take inputs from more than one input devices. Its like two people working on gimp, each having one pair of mouse, keyboard and a display, but obviously computing machine is same. Now if one make any changes to the canvas and it can be viewed by the other and other if wanted can make changes to it. But simultaneously not. That is basically there would be only one input to the application at a time. See this line from xi2 feature page "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XI2#Documentation"   "Each time an SD generates an event, this event is passed through the MD to the respective application". Here SD stands for slave device and MD for master device, so after all its MD that is controlling the application, SD have no reach to the application. In no way application can have more than one input at the same time. i.e required to make gestures. Gestures is what xi2 is not working with. So its a new project to very extent and not done yet.

>The project you are proposing is quite ambiguous as it requires
>fundamental changes to the GIMP core. I am afraid that you are not
>qualified to tackle this project. Adding multi-touch support to GIMP
>requires decent knowledge of GTK+ and GDK, which you are obviously
>missing.

   Also I was mentioning about recognizing gestures, by making an gesture server. Multi touch applications is what I was involved with since more than one year. I have built my own multi touch table based on jeff hann concept.

   I was also mentioning about changes in gimp too, which someone has to come with. Though I am a beginner with gtk+ and gdk but i have already completed half of my work as

  1. I know how to take multiple inputs and reach upto application with. I worked in pymt framework and is well-versed with its api and done some applications too.
  2. Pymt framework is an active group and fast growing framework. Currently it support TUIO protocol, Mac Touch, Window 7 WM_Touch native support, Support SMK device, Support Wiimote device.
     3. There is PyGTK to make pymt integrate well with GTK+ and to make portable the whole application to the platforms that GIMP supports. PyGTK applications are truly multiplatform and they're able to run, unmodified, on Linux, Windows, MacOS X and other platform.
     4. I have my own open source multi touch table to test applications.

    So I think I am left with GTK+ to work with and think that can be done in three months period.

Alok Mishra
India

 --
have a good day