Re: Option to save images without embedded ICC profile

Below is a response I wrote, but accidentally only sent to Sven. -JS

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 06:22 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
>> Sven Neumann wrote:
>> > You assign the sRGB profile. That is equivalent to un-setting the color
>> > profile.
>>
>> If it actually does this, it's being highly un-intuitive. Assigning
>> an sRGB profile would normally be expected to tag a file with sRGB,
>> not at all the same thing as having no assigned profile.
>
> Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB [. . .] This is surely far from ideal, but that's the
> current situation and it is not likely to change before everything is
> fully ported to GEGL.

I agree with Graeme. I will have to check if what you are saying is
true. I don't actually believe that I tried that because what you
described as the result of an action that is titled 'Assign Color
Profile' doesn't make any sense. That's pretty much lying to the user
and assuming the difference is irrelevant. Not to mention, if that
function was properly titled I wouldn't have started this
conversation.

I understand that color management is complicated and probably not
worth completely implementing until Gimp fully employs GEGL, but I
think changing the menu so that

File > Image > Mode > Assign Color Profile > sRGB
ACTUALLY applies the selected sRGB color profile to the image

and something like
File > Image > Mode > Remove Color Profile
would discard any color profile associated with the image

would be a simple change that would be a huge improvement to Gimp's
user interface.

Thanks for pointing this behavior out.

-Jason Simanek