Re: Color management dataflow [was: Color management (UI perspective for GIMP 2.8)]

On Feb 13, 2010, at 12:08 AM, David Gowers wrote:

> I agree; GIMP windows should support color management for individual
> image windows according to these atoms, absolutely;
> What it would be of little use to do, is to support showing the SAME
> image in a single window spanning multiple monitors, with different
> colormanagement for each monitor-segment of that Single window.
> As I understand, that is what Christopher was requesting and yahvuu
> was accurately describing as an uncommon use case, rather than the
> general case of one image window on this monitor, one on that, and
> they are color managed differently because of it.

Ah, but that is exactly what I was thinking. I know the ancient-of-days workflow was to have one "good" color monitor for the actual images, and a monochrome "control" monitor with the buttons and interfaces to control the software. Over the years I've seen more and more users with two or three good monitors, including gamers and programmers in addition to artists. And I have seen such users have windows with images spanning those monitors very often.

I'd also point out that this single-window-across-multiple-monitors use case is exactly one of the main ones that artists using Macintoshes had been quite fond of pointing out to their "poor cousins" on Windows (when I've seen them do such, it reminds me very much how "real programmers" use Linux). It highlights the fact that MacOS has had good color management built in to the OS for years and years.