Re: Minimal color management strategy for GIMP 2.8

On 01/24/2010 08:31 AM, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> Omari Stephens wrote:
>>> I had naively signed up for the "work on color management" job. That
>>> said, do you happen to know where the sRGB thingie is added by default?
>>> (if not, I can probably find it, but if you know offhand, I'm not
>>> beyond laziness ;o)
>> It was actually trivial to find. Right now, I'm just considering the
>> consequences before I nuke that 4 lines of code.
>
> You are talking about
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/plug-ins/common/file-png.c#n1456
> right?
>
> Nuking those four lines is not enough, a way to embedd an sRGB profile
> must also be added. Unfortunately, assagning an sRGB profile to an image
> in current GIMP does not "stick" since sRGB is the default color space.
> We need to change this. Changing this is likely to cause problems in
> other parts of the color managed code which needs to be taken care of.

Any licensing folks about?  Debian's "icc-profiles" package ships an
sRGB profile that has license [1].  The ICC itself also provides sRGB v2
and v4 ICC profiles for use with licenses [2] and [3], respectively.
Can we ship one of these with GIMP?  At the very least, the PNG spec
calls for IEC 61966-2-1, which is one of the sRGB v2 profiles, though
both the BPC-enabled and BPC-disabled versions seem to count as 61966-2-1.

Also, from a practical standpoint, are there important situations where
someone would want to tag a PNG as sRGB, but where simply applying the
actual sRGB color profile wouldn't be a reasonable substitute to the
sRGB PNG chunk?

The PNG standard has this to say (from http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#11sRGB ):
"""
It is recommended that a PNG encoder that writes the sRGB chunk also
write a gAMA chunk (and optionally a cHRM chunk) for compatibility with
decoders that do not use the sRGB chunk. Only the following values shall
be used.
[…]
When the sRGB chunk is present, it is recommended that decoders that
recognize it and are capable of colour management [ICC] ignore the gAMA
and cHRM chunks and use the sRGB chunk instead. Decoders that recognize
the sRGB chunk but are not capable of colour management [ICC] are
recommended to ignore the gAMA and cHRM chunks, and use the values given
above as if they had appeared in gAMA and cHRM chunks.

It is recommended that the sRGB and iCCP chunks do not both appear in a
PNG datastream.
"""

Here are the licenses:
[1] HP sRGB license, from Debian's icc-profiles package:
sRGB Profile Licensing Agreement:
To anyone who acknowledges that the file "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"
is provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY:
permission to use, copy and distribute this file for any purpose is
hereby granted without fee, provided that the file is not changed
including the HP copyright notice tag, and that the name of
Hewlett-Packard Company not be used in advertising or publicity
pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written
prior permission. Hewlett-Packard Company makes no representations about
the suitability of this software for any purpose.

[2] ICC sRGBv2 license, from http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter
To anyone who acknowledges that the files
"sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_no_black_scaling.icc" and "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black
scaled.icc" are provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY,
permission to use, copy and distribute these file for any purpose is
hereby granted without fee, provided that the files are not changed
including the ICC copyright notice tag, and that the name of ICC shall
not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of
the software without specific, written prior permission. ICC makes no
representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose.

[3] ICC sRGBv4 license, from http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter
To anyone who acknowledges that the file "sRGB_v4_ICC_preference.icc" is
provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, permission to use,
copy and distribute this file for any purpose is hereby granted without
fee, provided that the file is not changed including the ICC copyright
notice tag, and that the name of ICC shall not be used in advertising or
publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,
written prior permission. ICC makes no representations about the
suitability of this software for any purpose.

--xsdg