Re: Just a reminder of 48 bit color support

Omari Stephens wrote:
> On 12/31/2009 10:57 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> ::snip? SNIP!::
>> You are free to start working on it today. GEGL needs more contributors
>> and there is also a lot that can be done in GIMP today working towards
>> the goal of better GEGL integration.
>
> As the GEGL website is down, is there somewhere folks can look to see
> what sorts of things need to be done, and (perhaps) what skillsets are
> required?  If not, what can interested folks do to figure out how they
> can get involved and contribute?
>
> --xsdg

Quite a bit of things is done already. The color tools have been ported,
the image projection has been ported, i.e. the image is represented as a
GEGL graph. On the top of my head, here is things that still needs to be
done:

* Add an infrastructure to allow layers to have an automatically managed
size
* Color manage GEGL buffers
* Add infrastructure for higher bit depths. For example, can we afford
to always store data in 128bit RGBA or will that occupy too much memory?
* Use mipmapping techniques when doing image operations such as
painting, so that it is possible to paint with a large brush in a large
image while zoomed out. I expect this to require changes both to GEGL
and GIMP
* Add glue code so that we can use the old plug-ins, in particular the
file plug-ins, with GEGL
* Move out image processing from the event thread, we don't want to
block the main loop/event loop like we do now, even if we process the
image in chunks
* Replace TileManager with GeglBuffer

As you know, the end goal is high bit-depth and non-destructive editing.
 From that you can extrapolate further things that needs to be done.

Best regards,
Martin

--