Re: Secure logging of GIMP actions

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 19:16:57 meetthegimp.org wrote:

> Complete misunderstanding. They want to be able to prove what has been
> done to the image in the processing. As in: "Is this scratch really on
> the object and has been revealed from the raw photo with a contrast
> enhancement or has it been inserted with the clone tool?". Usually
> these disputes don't come up and so the logs don't have to be reader
> friendly.

This sounds like something that the forensics people would need. Basically to
prove what altering has happened to a piece of evidence in case processing is
disputed. There is no out of the box functionality like this because this
particular requirement is quite special in its own right, to fill this need the
log must prove that a) its from the editing of a correct image b) the end
result is what people have. This requires that the hashes of all images saved
and loaded are recorded and all recordings have a time stamp.   Currently gimp
does not have such functionality because nobody has  been interested in adding
one. However, I believe adding such logging facility to gimp is not difficult.
If the aim is simply to log, and do so with proof value then it should not
take a competent coder more than a month to implement. However since this not
a general interest functionality, they probably would need to pay a coder to
do this.

--Alexia