Re: Tilting the Canvas to draw slanted lines

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Magnus A. <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to implement a feature where I can rotate/tilt the Canvas, draw a
> bit and reset it to it's original orientation quickly. This need to be fast
> and the rotation in itself should not make any permanent/destructive changes
> (should work like the current rotation preview but without dialogs).

This has been on the roadmap for a while.

> My intention would be to write this as a plug-in. What I would like to know
> is A) does this already exist and B) would you consider it to be a hard task
> to implement this as a plug-in?

This is NOT doable as a plugin. This needs to be tone in the core, In
the part thats responsible for drawing the image projection.

> I have programming knowledge and work as a developer. I know several
> languages but I'm work with Java on a daily basis. I have no previous
> experience developing for GIMP or using it's libraries.

C will come as a bit of a shock then ;) no garbage collection etc. but
If you want to the skills can be aquired.

> My approach would be to rotate the canvas by x degrees and letting the input
> from the tools would be rotated with -x so that they align with the screen
> orientation.
thats the business of the projection alright.

Let me warn you, its a lot more work than you think, more o if you
have never used C or GIT. On the other hand its easier to learn than
one would expect for c. The functionality you will need to alter is
AFAIK nicely separated from the rest.

If you still want to do it, please join us in gimp net #gimp irc channel.

--
--Alexia