Re: The name "Gimp"

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:47 AM, Stephen Griffiths <scgmk5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 13:06 +0200, Alexia Death wrote:
>> Some English speakers
>> discomfort at the name is getting a bit ridiculous IMHO.
>
> These words make me squirm.
> fag - a pile of sticks (secondary meaning, rarely used)
> nigger - a person from a poor background (secondary meaning, almost
> unheard of)
> chink - a chink in a chain (primary meaning)
> speck - a speck of dust (primary meaning)
Words are neither good or bad. Its all about context. White youth call
each other niggers and there are crowds where fag generically means
mate. Language is transformable. Use transforms language all the time.

> Do these become any less uncomfortable because someone says they mean it
> in a different way?
Yes. There is a supermodel named Tyra. That pretty much means dick in
estonian. But we dont go arund demanding her to change her name to
allow her on TV, we have a chuckle and move on.

--
--Alexia