Re: The name "Gimp"

John B wrote:
> Well, if it's out of the question, then I guess I'll just shut up
> before this becomes a big argument.

It seems to be "out of the question" as far as convincing the developers
here to ever do that. Under the terms of the GPL3, however, there is
nothing to stop you from forking the code and doing that yourself.

Probably the best way, I would imagine, would be to keep nearly all the
code the same, but to add a configure options (like "--better-name")
that causes the logo and title bar name to be replaced. But if you were
to go to all the trouble, you would want to come up with a really classy
name and well-designed logo or else no one would care.

I'm sure that has been mentioned in the archives as well, but I thought
I'd mention it again in case you actually had the time and interest to
do it. Personally, I don't like the name GIMP either, as it's not a very
selling name. I know that annoys many of the (dedicated, hardworking)
developers, but we all have the right to our own opinion.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us