Re: Progressive escalation of help

On 2009-10-02, peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> To make a long story short: 3 stages is, of course, not enough -
>> especially with applications which target SIMULTANEOUSLY professionals
>> and first-time-Linux-users.

> I understand "first-time-Linux-users" as really newby linux desktop
> users, not beginner-GIMP-users (we have no priority to design for
> the latter).

  [I suppose you reversed two alternatives; otherwise one gets into a
   remarkable situation, as in: ]

"GIMP developers do not care about beginner GIMP users"...  Quite a
bold statement...  I suppose it is not shared by all GIMP developers -
including you... ;-)

> the help is there to help with GIMP functionality. not to
> help with the minimal differences of the linux desktop
> with mac and windows UI.

No contest here...

> so I am a bit stuck where the point is...

The point was three-headed:

  First:  help should better be "more flexible" [*];

  Second: the API changes to support specification of
	  variable-level-of-verbosity (and the actual code to
	  implement it!) may be quite minuscule [**];

  Third:  GIMP is one of the few applications which explicitly supports
	  escalation of help (via the sentence about F1 in tooltips).
	  But the current implementation of this support adds more
	  confusion than it actually helps.

Yours,
Ilya

[*] As the simplest example: try to add tooltips to "argument inputer"
    for a script registered with script-fu-register; more examples in
    OP.

[**] Text on a user control (or tooltip) should be a list of strings
     (instead of a string); to implement, only a minor modification of
     code supporting F1-on-tooltip is needed);