Re: We should go for a single-window mode in 2.8

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 13:00 +0200, jolie S wrote:

> When I work in GIMP what happens to me quite a lot is that I click just next
> to a window of an image I'm working on and all my GIMP windows are not shown
> on my screen anymore because I activated the application I had visibly open
> below the GIMP windows.

Sounds like you have some combination of full-screen or "miaximised"
windows and also the option is set that makes windows come to the
front when you click on them.

If you want to get the most out of using multiple images in GIMP in
Linux, e.g. to be able to use drag and drop between them, you need
(1) "sloppy focus" (focus-sollows-mouse, but focus is not lost
    when the pointer leaves the mouse window)
(2) turn off "auto-raise window on focus or click"

Now, if you have two overlapping windows and you click in the
lower one, it won't come to the front, clicking doesn't change
the "stacking order" of windows.

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to "send the current window
to the back, or, if the current window isn't on top, bring it to
the top" -- I use <windows>-f for this (f for front).  I'd be
happy to talk you through this using GNOME if it helps.

On MS Windows it's quicker to click on the active application
in the task bar and minimize or hide it to get back to GIMP.

[...]

> Also I've slept on it and given it some more thought and I'd like to ask
> again if you would please give having multiple images open at the same time
> some more thought.

I think the idea is that the single window might have multiple tabs, and
also maybe multiple panes.

Liam